Head Chef, Timbrell’s Yard
|Purpose:||To manage the kitchen operation ensuring the produce and menu follow the company’s values and ethos and delivering a consistently high standard of food for the pub guests.|
|Reporting to:||General Manager/Operations Manager|
|Responsible for:||The kitchen team: all grades of chef, kitchen porters and work experience volunteers and apprentices.|
|Hours:||48 hours per week organised on a shift basis|
|Salary/Rate:||Salary dependent upon skills and experience.|
|MAIN (CORE) DUTIES|
· To source and use suppliers in line with company procurement policies and provenance statement.
· Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and food safety controls within the kitchen in line with company food safety policy and procedures to ensure compliance with current food safety legislation.
· Deliver COS targets in line with the food monthly budget.
· Adhere to company and Health and Safety policies and procedures and ensure all documentation is implemented and fully up to date to safeguard and protect the welfare of all employees within the kitchen.
· Delegate the day to day responsibilities to the Sous Chef and monitor that these delegations are being carried out as requested.
· Work and lead by example, coaching, giving guidance where needed to maintain a positive working environment.
· Recruit, train and develop all kitchen staff to the required standard for their job role.
· Review and evaluate all new team members’ performance during their 3 month probationary period providing feedback and action plans as necessary.
· Carry out annual appraisals for the kitchen team within the agreed timeframes.
· Communicate effectively to the kitchen team through team meetings, regular 1:1s and coaching.
· Organise and oversee the kitchen rota within agreed labour costs and deadlines as directed by the General Manager.
· Manage holiday requests/time off to ensure the kitchen rota is fully covered and requests are marked on S4.
· To establish and maintain good communication with the General Manager to agreed specifications and deadlines.
· To encourage feedback and ideas for improvement from all sources.
· Ensure the team receive equipment health and safety training documented in line with their induction plan.
· Communicate company food and H & S policies, procedures and standards and to ensure that these are fully understood, implemented and adhered to.
· Actively encourage the team to develop their skills and food knowledge.
· Hold and attend training and team meetings as required.
· Work with Venner’s on a monthly stock take to gain a COS and wastage results in line with targets.
· Investigate and resolve any stock loss to ensure COS targets are met.
· Establish, record and update kitchen equipment inventory.
· Establish and maintain excellent relations with suppliers to ensure efficient, documented, accurate and timely deliveries.
· Ensure the consistent rotation and levels of stock, to ensure quality and reduce wastage.
· Ensure formal records are kept of all orders placed to be matched with delivery notes/invoices.
· To source new local suppliers in line with the company supplier’s policy communicating any new suppliers to the Executive Chef.
· Review suppliers and ingredients regularly to ensure costs in line with menu COS targets.
Health & Safety and Food Hygiene
· Ensure that all documentation and proper procedures are in place to cover all “due diligence” and protect the reputation of the company by ensuring all record keeping is correct and fully up to date as directed by the company Food Alert manuals.
· Ensure that all food safety HACCP documentation is being completed; temperatures checks, hot food temperature, probe calibrations etc and that cleaning schedules are completed and checked to ensure the required hygiene standards in the kitchen and stores and of uand equipment.
· Report any dangerous occurrences, incidents or accidents to the duty manager who will investigate and take the necessary action needed.
· Ensure any food related incidents of foreign bodies, AFPs are communicated directly to the General Manager and in their absence the duty manager. These must be logged on Food Alert immediately.
Company Assets, Safety and Security
· Ensure that all company assets, keys, stock, property and goods are well cared for and secure at all times.
· Maintain the highest personal standards of presentation, dress and behaviour and to ensure that this is maintained by all team members.
· Ensure the proper implementation of all company policies and procedures.
· Act as an ambassador for the company at all times and to carry out PR activities when requested by senior colleagues.
· Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required by the company.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
A review of the post and its responsibilities will be undertaken periodically and may result in modification to the tasks of the post holder.
This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with the post holder, may be changed by the company to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
Please complete the form below to submit your application.